Wednesday, December 21, 2005

@#$(%& Damon

Johnny Damon is going to the Yankees. What an ass! Seriously! How can he basically spit in his fans' faces by going to the team of their arch-rivals?? Ugh. I'm so disgusted with him right now. Yes, like news, sports is a business. However, I have turned down a larger salary in favor of location and loyalty. Many people have. 52 million is a lot of money. He could not have remained loyal to his fans to play for less?

I never was a Damon fan. I'd root for him madly because he was on the Red Sox, but I never actually liked the guy. Being proud of ignorance is not really a quality I admire. Sigh...

I may have to change my license plates to Pats plates (which is what I had originally requested when I moved up here, but they were not yet available). I'm not being a fair-weather fan here; I really disrespect the way the Red Sox are being run, and really admire the way the Patriots organization is controlled. Although losing Damon may not be a sign of bad decisions on the part of the Red Sox brass, I think they have definitely made some huge ones along the way.

I think the biggest mistake the Sox have made over the last few years was losing Cabrera. In a clubhouse of idiots, you need a classy guy who is well-liked yet stands apart. Schilling could never fill this role because he is too self-righteous. I really like Varitek, yet can you imagine Cabrera taking a shot at A-Rod the way Varitek did? Yeah, it was cool and we cheered him and I still like that he did it, but that's not the personality you need to unite people.

Cabrera also crossed race and language lines. He was a hard worker and somebody we all could admire; soft-spoken and not trying to take credit or sleeping with strippers (that we knew of like we know of with Johnny).

Okay, that's my vent for today. Time to work.

7 comments:

Yoav said...

It's true that sports is a business, but other athletes (Tom Brady, for example) have turned down bigger money to maintain their loyalties. I understand why Damon did what he did, but it still sucks emotionally ;(

I wouldn't make the leap from that to disrespecting the entire Sox organization, though. They didn't keep Cabrera because he was always intended as a 1-year fill-in until Hanley Ramirez was ready: of course now Ramirez is gone, but hindsight is always 20-20. I have to say Cabrera was the nicest pro player I've met: I ran into him at Ginza late one night in November 2004, after they'd won the series, bought him a drink, and he was very open, friendly.

Squirrelly said...

Hmm...$13 million to a centerfield who can't play defense, is injure prone and can't throw to save his life? Please...let the Yankees have him. We could have dealt with him for $10 million, but $13 just isn't worth it.

Cabrera was let go because he was a "clubhouse cancer." He was great defensively and a decent hitter. The Sox may regret letting him go, but at the time, there was no way he was coming back.

Cybersam said...

I knew you were going to blog about it as soon as I heard that Damon is leaving for the Yankees.

Ilana said...

It's not that he's the most skilled guy...it's that he was ours...

Just like when you date someone for a few years, then you discussing breaking up, and he goes out with the girl you hate most in the world (but who is, of course, very good-looking). You know he's not the best for you, but at the same time, you don't want her having him, either.

Ilana said...

Sigh...of course, being the complete hypocrite I am, i just took advantage of the invitation I received to buy Sox Pax and bought tickets to four more games for my parents. The only thing I can think of is when Barney wins a lifetime supply of beer after swearing off the stuff: "Just hook it to my veins!!!"

Yoav said...

Check out http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/051221, it's piercing.

Bomber said...

Are you saying the Yankees are better looking than the Sox?! Have you seen Randy Johnson?!

I will be laughing my butt off when Damon blows out his shoulder half-way thru the season.