Friday, July 08, 2005

Cheat Sheets

We are allowed to bring a "Cheat Sheet" to our accounting exam on Wednesday. While I appreciate the pseudo-open-bookedness of the gesture, cheat sheets drive me nuts. I would want an exam to mimic real life as much as possible. It is much more plausible that we will be near a textbook or the internet when faced with an accounting problem than an 8.5x11 piece of paper with formulas written on both sides.

Yes, I understand that writing the cheat sheet is in itself a helpful tool. However, the decision to do this or not should be up to the student. Likewise, if a student wants to spend a portion of a two-hour exam thumbing through a textbook, so be it. I just don't like things that make so little sense.

1 comment:

Mane the Mean said...

I have started to think that the
cheat sheet is a hoax. I think
just doing the homeworks, reading
the book, skimming through the
past exams should do the trick.
At least it should be enough
for a B. And if it is not, then
preparing a cheat sheet for
the final may be sensible.

I think they are just trying to
scare us. But we cannot really
be scared so easily.

And, the professor promised to
provide all the necessary formulas.
The rest is actually just about
understanding a few basic concepts,
which should not really be that
hard for professionals like us.

I am not going to let accounting
spoil or steal my weekend. I have
just started to read for my thesis,
and it is much more interesting.