Friday, September 02, 2005

Decision Update

I am swaying among the extremes. On the one hand, I would love to go to the Florida State-Miami game. I tell myself that it's about 4.5 hours from New Orleans. Then again, Mobile, Gulfport, and Biloxi were also destroyed, and those places are much closer.

I would say there's anywhere between a 95-98 percent chance that I will go to Tallahassee, have a great time at the game, and nothing will happen. It's the 2-5 percent chance that something will happen that has me terrified.

My main points of fear are on the road. All it takes is one nutcase needing a car with gas. But then I tell myself, wait...you'll be far enough away from all of the damage to avoid all this.

My friends down south seem to think things are fine, while everybody up here is panicking. How much is what we see in the news exagerrated? Are the problems more limited? More widespread? Are they showing just the bad parts about New Orleans while ignoring everything about Mobile?

In the map, Destin is at about the L's in "Tallahassee."

No comments: