Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Having an S-curve day

In my attempt to apply the concepts I am learning at school whenever and wherever possible, I would like to state that I am having an S-curve day today. It started out very well: I had a great workout, cooled down to Louis Armstrong's "A Kiss to Build a Dream on" and "Moon River," and arrived at Systems Engineering in plenty of time to meet Josh Collens, a fellow MITRE employee. I enjoyed his lecture... I can always learn something new about MITRE. Then had a great conversation with Matt Lamantia on the way to the car. Everything was going swimmingly!

Then I drove to work (don't like driving). I got here, and found that I had to do parts of my briefing in the 10 minutes I had before it started. The briefing went okay...it was just for the folks in my group. (Now's where the curve starts to flatten out again closer to the bottom....) However, we have one of those people who likes to ask obvious questions in order to make himself look smarter. Usually this doesn't bug me too much. But today he got on one of his schticks and kept asking the same thing over and over again. It was to the depth of, "So the sky's blue, right? Yeah, the sky is blue. The sky is blue, huh?" Really kept throwing off my briefing rhythm. Eventually I had to pull one of those, "Okay, I have your sky is blue question duly noted here. Is there anything else you would like to add?"

Afterwards, I went for a quick powerwalk with John, which provided a good spike to the S-curve. Then another briefing. This one was uneventful, but I had the briefing to try to delegate some work, and found that it was not the kind I could delegate to the selected audience. Grrr...

The day is still going fine, but I was very proud of my S-curve analogy and wanted to share my wisdom =D

4 comments:

Ilana Reeves said...

Oooo..and how could I forget that when I checked my email before class, I had an email advertising that I could "Get Laid Today!" Great news!

Ilana Reeves said...

Yeah, it is too early. I wake up at 5:55, will myself out of bed by 6:05, try to be at the gym by 6:30. It's tough, but I feel much better after I work out. The endorphins make the whole thing worth it!

Unknown said...

I like to snooze ;) Can't work out early...

Ilana Reeves said...

I try to be in bed at 10pm. Especially when I have the gym in themorning. However, I am often afflicted by insomnia, so may not fall asleep for a couple of hours.